• Welcome to the Sea Angling and Fishing community
    Register for free and talk about angling, fishing, boats and gear

What are the must haves for shore fishing?

teamrose

Must have my Elite bank fishing rod holder. I get tired just holding the rod. This way I can enjoy the day while waiting for the fish to take the bait. Can open up a cool beer and relax until it's time to pull them in

deansaliba

crossunitedfate has given you pretty much THE list right there, I was also going to suggest taking an ipod/MP3 player but someone else has beaten me to that. :p I don't take any music with me as I enjoy the quietness that fishing brings but I understand why some people do take them.

teamrose

I think taking an iPod fishing is terrible. Fishing is a relaxing time. People may think they are relaxing while on the iPod, and other media, but studies have shown it is really stressful. While fishing one can commune with nature and totally relax the brain.

BigBigFan

Bring a camera, you never actually catch a big fish unless you can prove it with a picture. The online world we live in today is funny that way Isn't it? A camera is also useful for taking a picture of your fishing partner doing something silly, like falling in :)

Esperahol

I think taking an iPod fishing is terrible. Fishing is a relaxing time. People may think they are relaxing while on the iPod, and other media, but studies have shown it is really stressful. While fishing one can commune with nature and totally relax the brain.

What studies were those and what music? I know that music is generally considered relaxing and I tend to have mine constantly on. Better for my blood pressure.

teamrose

Since the advent of cell phones, taking a camera is a nobrainer. Almost every human event is now captured on camera. However, when you catch that big fish one is usually so excited, they forget to take the picture.

Not sure what you could do short of throwing it into the lake that would damage it lol.

Well pretty much any electronic device I ever brought fishing with me met with some sort of malfunction do to my own fault. Sitting on it, kicking it into the water by mistake, etc.

Like one of those cartoon characters that have zero luck.

NickJ

Hmmm. Maybe you should get one of those itty bitty mp3 players. They have some that are as small and light-weight as a stick of gum. You can just place it into a snap pocket on your outfit, and nothing will ever happen to it.

Hmmm. Maybe you should get one of those itty bitty mp3 players. They have some that are as small and light-weight as a stick of gum. You can just place it into a snap pocket on your outfit, and nothing will ever happen to it.

Yeah, I know what you're talking. Those are cheap, in both the good AND the bad way if you know what I mean.

r. zimm

"Bring a camera"

That is the best idea yet. Small digital cameras are cheap and better than using your expensive smart phone. You could even keep the camera in a zip lock bag.

Just make sure that if you take pictures and post it online you are catching something that is in season and of legal size. Could come back and "bite you!"

Esperahol

Just make sure that if you take pictures and post it online you are catching something that is in season and of legal size. Could come back and "bite you!"

This has happened before with the whole hunting thing, but never fishing. That said I have developed the habit of being the one to take the picture rather then someone in the picture - saves on fines I've discovered.