• Welcome to the Sea Angling and Fishing community
    Register for free and talk about angling, fishing, boats and gear

What are the must haves for shore fishing?

Gwydion

A tripod to rest the rod (pole) on, plenty of bait, my tackle box (ok, so that's lots of things, but I consider it a s single item that I'm bringing with me) and if I'm night fishing, a flashlight. Preferably one on my head and maybe a storm lantern.

I usually take a camera with me, but I do not consider that essential. And a fishing trip is one time I leave my iPod and the mobile phone at home!

NickJ

I never go night fishing. I might try dusk fishing but actual pitch black night fishing? No way. I just think it's too much of a hassle and not worth the trip. Fishing was an activity meant to be done during daylight. But that doesn't mean I am knocking night-fishers. It's just not for me personally.

B

bigal3

When I go fishing from the shore I pretty much bring the same things I see my fellow fishermen here take on a trip to the beach for a successful and safe fishing trip. I always carry one other item I feel is essential wether on shore or on a boat. and that is a well stocked "FIRST AIDE" kit.

NickJ

No offense but why would a good fisherman need first aid? I have fished for awhile and have never accidentally injured myself or been injured. Worst thing that's happened to me is a splinter from my boat a few times.

BigBigFan

Nick, you've never accidentally hooked yourself so deeply that you needed to push the hook through instead of pulling it out? I think you'll want a bandage after those types of accidents :)

All of these seem like really good suggestions. I have never taken an iPod, but in bygone years, I used to be sure to bring along a good book, and some sunflower seeds to nibble on while waiting for that fish to bite.
Food is a great idea, if you are camping , or even just spending the whole day out fishing.
We used to make fried chicken and potato salad, so there was always good food to eat when camping out and fishing, and of course, we also enjoyed eating the fresh fish for dinner, or breakfast the next morning.