• Welcome to the Sea Angling and Fishing community
    Register for free and talk about angling, fishing, boats and gear

What is you favorite type of bait?

Esperahol

Everyone has a favorite type or kind - I personally like live bait generally shrimp or minnows. Maybe you have a superstition about it or you just have experience backing it. However it goes tell me your favorite type of bait and why that is so.

For me it has to be worms. First of all, it is easy to find in our backyard, I don't have to buy it. Furthermore, it has already been tested since the days where my father first taught me how to fish up to this time. It never fails me.

Honestly, I don't really have a considered favorite bait. I just go with whatever works. When I fish, I never noticed myself getting more or less bites as a result of the bait I used. So, as long as whatever I use works, I'm happy.

Esperahol

For me it has to be worms. First of all, it is easy to find in our backyard, I don't have to buy it. Furthermore, it has already been tested since the days where my father first taught me how to fish up to this time. It never fails me.

There was a time when everytime it rained you could barely walk for all the worms on the ground. It was like dealing with a squirming carpet of blood and transparent flesh. Worms for some odd reason are a lot less common now in my neck of the woods. That said worms are a good reliable bait to use if you cna get it.

BigBigFan

I love jigs. I love to fish for lurkers like Bass which tend to go for bottom cover and it's where they look for food. I want my lures right at eye level without getting stuck and I love how easily I can change the look of my lure without needing to untie it or unhook it from the swivel. Small tugs on the rod while you real in the line make the jig look like it's jumping, I've had some great strikes using them.

r. zimm

I like live bait. I usually am able to catch what I need at the spot which is 1) cheap, 2) fun, and 3) something predators are looking for since they are around.

I will use menhaden, cigar minnows, small runners and small croakers. In the winter google eyes and large menhaden (called greenies around here).

NickJ

Shrimp. They're easy to get on the hook and work really well to catch an assortment of fish.

irenen1

Bait is dependent on what you are trying to catch and where. Squid is used to catch striped bass, crab pieces or small eels are used for blues and tautog, sea worms for flounder.

Esperahol

Shrimp. They're easy to get on the hook and work really well to catch an assortment of fish.

I do like shrimp as they are great for many species and also really easy to breed at home. The only thing that sometimes gets me is that the little eyes turn to me like they're all trusting and stuff. Oh, well I never said I wasn't an awful person.

Esperahol

I think that's more of a WTF? Look than anything else.:D

No I get that look after I slide a hook in them. Before that they are all trusting and sadly naive. I try to hide the hooks until we get to the place. Let them keep their illusions just a little bit longer.

Bait is dependent on what you are trying to catch and where. Squid is used to catch striped bass, crab pieces or small eels are used for blues and tautog, sea worms for flounder.

Shows how inexperienced I am. I used to just put bait on a hook and call it a day, not thinking about it catching any particular fish.

Esperahol

Shows how inexperienced I am. I used to just put bait on a hook and call it a day, not thinking about it catching any particular fish.

Nah, most people aren't thinking of a particular fish and even if they are they aren't generally going to be lugging around multiple types of bait. I sometimes find myself being very opportunistic and using some of what I might catch to pull up other things. I tend to toss squid back though, I have no idea why.

B

bigal3

It depends on where I am at the time. In the U.S, I also used minnows and worms (night crawlers) as well as some cut bait like chicken liver. All three worked well depending on the fish I was going for. For salt water I use some cut bait such as squid. Generally though I use lures in salt water.