• Welcome to the Sea Angling and Fishing community
    Register for free and talk about angling, fishing, boats and gear

What is you favorite type of bait?

Probably , if a person knows how to prepare them properly, most fish would be good to eat. When I lived in Missouri, they had a special season when they went after suckers/squawfish and stuff like that. I forget what they called it, it they went out at nite with boats and speared them , using brightly lit boats to find them in the water. A friend cooked some for me, and it was delicious ! I was surprised because mostly those are considered trash fish, and not for eating.
The recipe for barracuda sounds wonderful, and it seems like you really know a lot about catching and cooking your fish.
I used to grill my catfish on the BBQ, and they almost tasted like halibut when they were done..... Much better than the bullheads that we used to catch back in Idaho.

cmilliken

My favorite saltwater lures are called "Queen Cocahoes." They are basically unheard of yet work excellently. Queen Cocahoes are plastic, white minnow-shaped lure with swimming tails. They are scented with anise. Stripers love these lures, and I have been very successful shore/beach fishing with them.

B

bigal3

Carp are also considered by many to be a "trash fish". However, Carp is one of the best tasting fresh water fish there is if cooked properly. My only problem with it is the many small bones you have to be careful of when you eat it.:)

Dubstep84

Yes. I love using live bait as well. Especially Minnows. The fish seem to bite better with live bait vs fake bait..

thomas pendrake

Just yesterday I was bicycling back home from Walmart and saw a gentleman walking with an empty coffee can and a hoe. I stopped and asked him if he was going to pick some worms, which he was. He happened to be African-American, and I related to him how my Grandfather had owned a fish-camp and an African-American had left some worms at the fishing dock and my Grandfather had started a worm bed with them. They turned out to be African Night Crawlers that some ancestor of the fisherman had brought to America from Africa. My grandfather was the first commercial worm farmer in America and made a small fortune as a result. So, I like African night crawlers, shrimp for salt-water, and bread balls flavored with oil of anise where legal.

Diane Lane

I've always preferred live bait, maybe because I haven't had luck using lures. When freshwater fishing growing up, we'd mostly use worms, either ones we'd dug ourselves, or ones we'd bought nearby the fishing site. These days, I live along the coast, and am fairly close to fresh fish markets, and bait shrimp are pretty inexpensive, so that's usually what I use.