• Welcome to the Sea Angling and Fishing community
    Register for free and talk about angling, fishing, boats and gear

What is you favorite type of bait?

Now, that I think about it any sort of bait that Tuna go for I should consider my favorite. Since all things considered, that's the fish I usually want in my mind (even if I never catch one)

B

bigal3

Now, that I think about it any sort of bait that Tuna go for I should consider my favorite. Since all things considered, that's the fish I usually want in my mind (even if I never catch one)
I know how you feel. I am the same way about Barracuda.

B

bigal3

I love barracuda! When I season it with my secret spices and broil it over a Kiave (mesquite wood) fire it will as we say in Hawaii, "Broke the "mout".( that was Hawaiian pidgeon english "broke the mouth")

Ah ok, so people DO eat barracuda. You know, I'm past the 30 year old mark and this is the first time I ever heard of people doing such. Makes me curious to see if I can pick up barracuda at the market next time and experiment with it.

B

bigal3

Ah ok, so people DO eat barracuda. You know, I'm past the 30 year old mark and this is the first time I ever heard of people doing such. Makes me curious to see if I can pick up barracuda at the market next time and experiment with it.
I used to live in Hawaii and even there it is difficult to find it a market. When You do find it it is expensive. That's why I caught my own. It is a firm meat and great for grilling with whatever seasonings you like with fish. I preferred it grilled or broiled with salt and black pepper. To keep it from drying out while cooking I would baste it with butter or margarine with lemon or lime juice. Umm, Umm good!

Expensive you say?....yeah...that just killed my desire to try it out a bit. Yes, I'm cheap like that. And since the waters out in my area don't even seem to have that fish, I'm out of luck in terms of getting my own.

r. zimm

Just the smaller 'cuda's are considered eatable because they feed on reef fish which some species are poisonous so as the 'cuda grow their meat can become poisonous as well. Other than that they are built like the freshwater pike - all muscle.

r. zimm

Just the smaller 'cudas because they eat reef fish which some species are poisonous and as the 'cudas grow their flesh can be toxic too. Other than that they are built like a freshwater Pike so they are mostly muscle.

NickJ

I don't doubt that barracuda are edible on some level. Just not really interested in trying to eat them anytime soon.

B

bigal3

Wow, learned something new today in that I did not know Barracuda were poisonous! Fortunately for me the ones I caught have been small. I know the meat was certainly very good tasting and I am still here.

Esperahol

Wow, learned something new today in that I did not know Barracuda were poisonous! Fortunately for me the ones I caught have been small. I know the meat was certainly very good tasting and I am still here.

Are you sure you aren't a ghost? I've seen several movies that involve ghosts using the internet. Also the texts of your various postings seems to have changed. That is a possible sign of your undeadiness. How do you feel about exorcism? It probably won't even hurt all that badly.

NickJ

Are you sure you aren't a ghost? I've seen several movies that involve ghosts using the internet. Also the texts of your various postings seems to have changed. That is a possible sign of your undeadiness. How do you feel about exorcism? It probably won't even hurt all that badly.

Maybe he's like Ozzy with the drugs. A medical miracle. A man that should be dead by now but by the grace of god (or super genetics)...he's not.

I used to think nothing could beat a worm for bait, but as I am getting older, I find that even using a worm bothers me. I have never been able to use most live bait, like water dogs, and mice and things like that; but I did okay with worms. Now, I usually use a piece of liver, or maybe frozen shrimp. I am not sure it is as good as live bait, but I feel better about using it.

B

bigal3

Why do you think barracuda is not for human consumption? California, Hawaii, and many other costal waters in the U.S. have them and they are highly sought after for their flavor. I never heard of anyone getting sick from eating them if prepared properly. I broil it with black pepper, garlic, green onion, lemon juice and a little butter. It is absolutely delicious!:)